Thursday, June 10, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday: Enveloping The Past To Secure The Future


There is no telling what you can come up with when you are looking for treasures. I was talking to Luckey from OurGeorgiaRoots and found her ancestor was Thomas Dorsey: The music man Thomas Dorsey!! I had been listening to some of his compositions for years.
I remembered that I had seen something in and old logbook that reminded me of Mr. Dorsey.

These worn envelopes found in an old church log book from Little Flock Baptist Church was an indication to me that the church knew good music, and invested in it to carry on their music ministry just before and after hearing good preaching. Thomas A Dorsey was the all time Father of Black Gospel music.


He wrote and sang "Take My Hand, Precious Lord" my all time favorite. Others from this list are "The Little Wooden Church On The Hill" and "Jesus Lives In Me".

You could get all these songs from 10 cents to 25 cents. Sheet music was mostly what was ordered in those backwoods churches. I can see them now playing that piano, shaking that tambourine and stomping their feet to the beat.


Now here is another set of worn envelopes found in that same old church log book. It says to me that that my grandparents and the church Community of Little Flock Baptist Church in Grimes County Texas thought about the future and put savings into a Retirement fund to have a better life.
I would also imagine that more than a few of my relatives knew the Boyd's in one fashion or another.

Boyd came to Navasota Texas right after emancipation from Mississippi. He eventually taught himself to read and write and found a church home that he eventually joined called Hopewell Baptist Church in 1869.
R.H. Boyd helped to organize the Texas Negro Baptist Convention. He also organized and served as pastor to several churches in Texas. He later moved to Tennessee where he founded the R.H. Boyd Publishing Company. After his death his son Henry took over the helm.






4 comments:

Angela Y. Walton-Raji said...

What a great post!! To see that you had those old envelopes (treasures they are!) just lying around. What a neat thing to have. And who knew that Luckie has ties to the man himself! The world is indeed a small place!

One never knows what treasures that they can find! Thanks for sharing them.
-Angela-

Ms Vicky said...

Thanks Angela,glad you enjoyed the read.

Kristin said...

"Precious Lord Take My Hand" is one of my favorite songs. It takes me right back to being in church when i was growing up. I never knew who wrote it and for sure never expected to "know" his family!

Ms Vicky said...

That song sure says alot doesn't it Kristin. A good song lasts a lifetime and Precious Lord is a Great song.