Monday, September 13, 2010

Memories And A Cup of Coffee



For the past 21 days my family and I have been on a fast. We were on a spiritual mission through our church ministry for those who wanted to participate along with our Pastor. We could pick something that we had or did daily that would be hard to do without.

My daughter and I picked sweet tea, bread and coffee. My grand daughter Taylor picked bread, sweet tea and vowed to be nice. (smile). My grandson Tyler chose to not play with his wrestlers, not watch wrestling on TV and refrain for the rest of his life to not tell a fib or be a bad boy.

When the day finally came to end the fast, my granddaughter and I headed for the local Quick Trip at 12:10 A.M. in the morning.

Sweet tea was the only thing on our mind. We each took a big gulp, put the lid back on and headed back home to get in the sack. We vowed to finish the next day, even if it was watered down tea.

That one gulp sure tasted good to me. LOL

The next thing I did when I got up this morning was to get my electric percolator, put it back together and brew me a good pot of coffee.

As that coffee aroma filled the room and the percolator made those sounds so typical of the brewing coffee hitting the top of the lid of the little glass fitting, you could see the coffee changing colors to a deep rich brown.

I suddenly started to smile because my thoughts went to two of my very favorite people who had graced my life at one time or another.

My Uncle John Morton and my ex - father in law Floyd Mitchell.

Now my Uncle John was my first exposure to how good breakfast was to a human being. He lived in Marshall Texas and worked for the Texas and Pacific Railroad.

When I was younger I went to visit for the summer. I would get up early in the morning just to eat breakfast with my Uncle John.

My Aunt Carmena would cook him rice, sausage and eggs with those good old home made biscuits.

Then there was his coffee. My oh My!! It was as if his eyes lit up when he took his sips. First he gently blew to cool and then he would sip.
I was intrigued because Uncle John would pour him a cup of coffee

He would then take that which he had just poured into the cup, transfer the liquid to the saucer and drink it like it was something special.

I asked him once why he did it that way. Was it to hot to drink,or what? Heck I figured if that was the case he could wait until it cooled down and then drink from the cup. His answer was short and sweet, "taste better this way" and as he smiled he then went back to his breakfast ritual, blow and sip, blow and sip.
My Uncle John was a man that was short with his words but those few words sure meant a lot to me.

Uncle John was born in Camp County, Pittsburgh,Texas on April 25th 1899 to the parents of Robert and Mollie Huff Morton. He passed away on June 15th 1975 in Harrison County, Marshall Texas.


Now my ex father in law Floyd Mitchell lived in Altus Oklahoma and he too loved his coffee.
In fact he could drink coffee all day long no matter if it was winter, summer, spring or fall.

The back burner on his stove at 720 West Wright stayed nice and hot as the old coffee pot slowly cooked to his perfection.


I called my father in law Dad. Now dad would pour him a cup of coffee into one of those old white thick cups which seemed to have an endless supply of strong black coffee.

I don't remember him pouring his into a saucer just from pot to cup to mouth. Hmmmm hmmmm,hmmmm.
I can see him now drinking that steaming hot cup of coffee as he was frying those delicious fried peach and apple pies he made to sell at the Cotton Compress.

Floyd Mitchell born 1901 in Saline County, Hempstead, Arkansas to the parents of Joe and Nancy Cryor Mitchell. He passed away in Jackson County, Altus Oklahoma in 1965.
I don't know when he arrived in Altus Oklahoma but thank God he did or I would not have met him.

I sure miss those two men and I am so glad that they were in my life.

Memories live on in our lives that cause us to smile and reflect. Especially the good Memories that tug at your heart.

8 comments:

LindaRe said...

Vicky,

A couple of my aunts and uncles were heavy coffee drinkers. I remember the ritual of blowing, sipping and pouring the coffee into the saucer. Thank you for the memories.

Angela Y. Walton-Raji said...

Drinking my own morning cup of coffee while reading this. Now all I need is the biscuits!! Mmm....beautiful memories!

Ms Vicky said...

@lindaRe, and I bet they drank it black and strong (smile)

Ms Vicky said...

@ AYW would those biscuits come with a little bit of Ber Rabbit

SAFIYAH said...

HOW ABOUT BISCUITS AND BUTTER IN THE BER RABBITT HMMM ! HMMM !

Ms Vicky said...

Hmmm,Hmmm is so right on the money! Thanks Safiyah

Task Master in Progress said...

Vicky,
My Aunt B. (Mercie Jackson) on my mother's side and her husband (Johnny) used to be my close favorites. I lovingly called Uncle Johnny "Uncle Pooh". Because of this, Aunt B. called me "Pooh". I'd spend the night with them sometimes and in the morning Uncle Pooh would have his cup of coffee and ironically, I would have mine when he had his......out of his saucer. He died when I was very young and honestly it is my fondest, if not only, memory of him.

You do such a great job with your research, putting it all together, and sharing it. These little stories, little mementos, photos, and pieces of history mean so much and offer such insight into our historical roots and reminds us of how "not so long ago" it was.

Ms Vicky said...

Imperfect, you just made me revisit this post. All I can say is glistening eyes sure tell the story. Thank you so much for sharing Uncle Pooh and Aunt B with me.